Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Class Review: Watercolor Sketching

I just completed the class "Watercolor Sketching" presented by Cathy Johnson, free of charge at Strathmore Artists Studio. The class consisted of four lessons, released one per week, starting on March 1 (but all now available until August 1).  Each lesson includes a basic video, a bonus video and a downloadable PDF.  The first two lessons were on basic watercolor techniques and how to incorporate them with drawing.  I found that watercolors are harder to work with than acrylics, in terms of blending. And less forgiving.  But definitely easier to transport.  The second lesson was on mixing watercolors with other media:
For this page, I started with a variegated water color wash, drew some shells in ink. Added highlights with other ink pens and some gesso.  The final lesson was on collage with water color:
I love this page I created about Clara's obsession with her cell phone.
All-in-all, I found it to be a very satisfying class.  The basic lessons provided enough information to try new skills, while the bonus videos showed Cathy Johnson working through larger water color projects.  It started a little slow, but the last two lessons were jam-packed with information and exercises. There was a forum (which I couldn't figure out) and a photo gallery in which I didn't participate. But those are small quibbles.   I give the class a solid A.
Anyone else take this class?

9 comments:

Cheri said...

I haven't taken it, but you've inspired me to go check it out!

Cheri said...

apparently you have to have an invitation to be able to sign into their site.

Lynn Cohen said...

Looks like you had fun, nice results too!

nancy y said...

you learned a lot, and applied it terrifically! My son is obsessed with is iPhone too ;-)

Unknown said...

I signed up for it but never got around to it. It sounds good though.

Ginger said...

I have been interested in your posts on this class Rinda - like Cheri, I could not get to the site without an invitation. You sure look like you have enjoyed it :)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Sounds like a very interesting class

Karen said...

I've never been very comfortable with sketching, but maybe I should give it a try again. Yours are lovely.

Unknown said...

Wonderful Sketching.Surely I will do this. Thanks for sharing.

Watercolor Techniques for Beginners